What is the ideal timing for acquiring garden furniture in the UK?
The most optimal garden furniture in the UK combines quality craftsmanship, durability, and stylish design. It's designed to withstand the unpredictable British weather while providing comfort and aesthetic appeal.
This furniture often features weather-resistant materials such as rattan, metal, or treated wood, ensuring it remains in excellent condition for years.
With a wide range of options to choose from, including flexible and space-saving designs, the most optimal garden furniture in the UK allows you to create a functional and inviting outdoor space to enjoy throughout the seasons.
When it comes to buying garden furniture, various factors such as quality, cost, durability, and design must be considered. Knowing the right timing for your purchase is crucial.
A common question we receive is, "When should I buy my garden furniture?" and it's an excellent question. Whether you want to maximize your choices or ensure you're prepared for the first signs of good weather, you'll soon become proficient in selecting the ideal time to purchase your outdoor lounging and dining sets.
The answer to this question primarily depends on several factors:
- Whether you are waiting for a specific collection to be released.
- Your particular time frame for needing the furniture.
- If you suddenly require additional seating or a replacement chair.
However, as a general guideline, it's advisable to buy your garden furniture around February to March. Shopping before the gardening season starts in the spring ensures the widest selection due to guaranteed stock availability.
Even though we are the UK's largest garden furniture stockists, we still recommend purchasing out of season to secure the pieces you desire before others snap them up.
Don't let the weather deter you:
The unpredictable climate in the UK can be discouraging for early shoppers. However, with the fitting covers and storage solutions, you can keep your new furniture safe, clean, and protected until the weather warms up. Our ample warehouse space allows us to store your furniture until you're ready to transform your garden.
Shopping for new collections:
For those interested in the latest styles and innovations in outdoor furniture, retailers often offer the opportunity to pre-order collections before their official release.
New launches can occur at various times throughout the year, typically preceding the spring garden season. To stay updated, consider ordering an Outdoor Furniture Catalogue in advance, following brands on social media, and subscribing to newsletters for the earliest information on new collections.
Waiting for sales:
If you're looking to save on your outdoor furniture purchase, you might be wondering when sales are held. Sales can occur at various times during the year, often following a typical sale calendar, including events like Black Friday and Winter Sales.
However, it's worth noting that at Bridgman, we seldom discount our furniture. Instead, you can find ex-display sets, perfect condition seconds, and discontinued pieces in our Clearance Collection. Keep in mind that our best-selling and most popular collections are rarely offered at a discount.
What is the trend for curved garden furniture?
Embrace the current trend of cosy, contemporary, and curvaceous furniture in your garden. Curved table has a rich history, from its origins in the Art Nouveau movement of the 19th century to resurgences in the 1920s and 1970s. Today, curved furniture defines the style of the 2020s with its rounded lines and elegant curves.
Curved furniture isn't limited to indoor spaces; it's a fantastic choice for gardens and outdoor areas. It creates a soft and inviting atmosphere, encouraging social interaction and relaxation.
Select soothing colours:
To enhance the calming ambience of curved outdoor furniture, opt for colours that evoke serenity. Look to your garden for inspiration and incorporate earthy browns and neutral tones.
Design a circular arrangement:
Create a cohesive look by arranging your curved furniture in a loose circle around a central round coffee table. This layout promotes a cosy and welcoming seating arrangement.
Socialize in the round:
Curved sofas and round dining tables are ideal for fostering conversation. A round lounging or dining set ensures that everyone faces the centre, promoting inclusivity and openness for a more enjoyable social experience.
Create a cosy corner:
Curved furniture is perfect for relaxation spaces. Add a Curved Modular Sofa or a Round Coffee Table and complement the setup with potted plants, throws, and scatter cushions to create a personalized outdoor retreat.
How to Clean Garden Furniture
Maintaining a garden you love spending time in is essential for your well-being. Your choice of furniture should not only consider affordability and style but also ease of maintenance. Proper care can significantly extend the lifespan of your garden furniture.
As winter comes to an end, it's an ideal time to prepare your garden for summer gatherings. Cleaning furniture varies based on the material and degree of dirtiness. Here are some practical cleaning tips:
Universal cleaning method for all types of outdoor furniture:
If you need a quick and easy cleaning solution using household items, mix hot water and dish soap in a bowl (use warm, not hot water for wooden furniture). Approximately 50ml of soap per litre of water is sufficient.
Use a sponge with a rough and smooth side to scrub the furniture, reserving the more intimidating side for stubborn dirt. An old toothbrush can help reach difficult areas. Rinse with clean water to remove soap residue for furniture with glass or smooth surfaces, and dry with a cloth to prevent streaks.
Cleaning Wooden Garden Furniture:
Cleaning wooden garden furniture is a straightforward process that doesn't have to be overly complex. Still, there are some important considerations to keep in mind in order to maximize the results and avoid any potential damage during the cleaning process.
The level of effort required largely depends on the condition of your garden furniture after the winter season. If your furniture primarily needs mildew spot removal and a refresh, your task will be relatively quick compared to dealing with stains and damaged areas.
- Remove loose dirt with a small bristle brush or toothbrush.
- Lightly sand the surface, paying attention to stains or splinters.
- Mix detergent with water, wipe down the furniture, and rinse with a hose or sponge.
- Seal the wood after it's dry.
Cleaning Metal Garden Furniture:
At its most fundamental level, metal garden furniture can be effectively cleaned using a solution of soapy water and a sponge. Nonetheless, there are several considerations to bear in mind to ensure your garden furniture remains in top condition and enjoys a longer lifespan.
One paramount guideline is to avoid employing any abrasive materials. Even the use of a stiff brush, even one constructed from natural fibres, could result in surface scratches that are challenging to rectify.
Instead, consider employing a toothbrush for cleaning hard-to-reach dirt, but be sure it possesses soft bristles to prevent any potential damage.
- Avoid abrasive brushes; use a soft bristle brush or toothbrush.
- Wash with soapy water or a specific metal furniture detergent.
- Buff with a dry cloth to minimize streaks.
- Remove rust spots with a rust cleaner.
- Apply a clear sealer to prevent future rust.
Cleaning Rattan outdoor Furniture:
- Vacuum with a small nozzle to remove loose debris.
- Use a toothpick for stubborn dirt.
- Wipe with warm, soapy water (avoid hot water that could melt glue).
- Let it dry in the sun.
- Treat with warm linseed oil to rejuvenate tired-looking rattan.
Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture:
Plastic garden furniture is often associated with a relatively short lifespan, typically ranging from 5 to 7 years, marked by issues like fading in the sun and developing cracks. However, these problems mainly arise from inadequate care and maintenance. Cleaning and preserving plastic garden furniture is generally straightforward, but you may require some specialized tools for the task.
- Brush away moss or stubborn dirt with a stiff bristle brush.
- Wash with soap and water using a sponge.
- Spray with a plastic restorer to revive faded areas.
- Wipe with a soft cloth to remove excess restorer.
When to Clean Garden Furniture:
Cleaning outdoor furniture a few times a year, especially in spring and autumn, is ideal for keeping it in good condition. This regular maintenance makes it easier to address any issues that may arise.
Proper knowledge of how to clean furniture is essential for prolonging its life. Adapt your cleaning methods based on the material and finish of your furniture. Investing in quality furniture and following maintenance tips will ensure your pieces last for years.
Chesterfield bed’s Harmonious look with garden Furniture:
- Chesterfield bed: Classic and timeless, a Chesterfield bed adds elegance to any bedroom with its distinctive tufted upholstery and rolled arms, offering both style and comfort.
Garden furniture: When selecting garden furniture, consider factors like material durability, weather resistance, and space-saving designs to ensure it complements your outdoor space while withstanding the UK's varied weather conditions.
Coordinating style: Create a harmonious look by choosing outdoor furniture that complements your bedroom decor, whether it's matching colours or a shared design aesthetic.
Versatile seating: Opt for outdoor furniture that can be adapted to different seating arrangements, allowing you to entertain guests in your outdoor space or relax comfortably in your bedroom.
Quality and longevity: Invest in high-quality Chesterfield bed and outdoor furniture pieces to enjoy long-lasting comfort and style in both your indoor and outdoor spaces.
Three Ideas for Small Gardens:
Designing and decorating a small garden can be challenging, but with the right strategies, you can create a remarkable outdoor space. Here are three ideas for small gardens:
1. Flexible Furniture:
Maximize your space by choosing space-saving, flexible furniture. Opt for stackable chairs, bar stools, and foldable tables that can be easily stored when not in use. It allows you to create more room in your small garden when needed.
2. Vertical Gardens:
If you're running out of horizontal space, consider vertical gardening. Use hanging planters along fences or trellises for climbing plants to create more growing space. Vertical gardens not only provide extra greenery but also make your garden appear larger and more visually appealing.
3. Accessory Essentials:
Strategically placed accessories can create optical illusions, making your garden appear more spacious and exciting. Add lanterns, lights, and other accessories to create a sense of repetition and unity in your garden. The added illumination can also brighten up dark corners, making your garden feel more welcoming.
Transform your small garden into an alfresco oasis by thinking creatively, utilizing vertical space, and carefully selecting accessories. With a bit of imagination, your small garden can become a charming outdoor retreat.
Panel bed’s versatile look along Garden Furniture:
Panel bed: A panel bed is known for its classic design, featuring a headboard and footboard with raised panels, creating a sense of timeless elegance in the bedroom.
Variety of styles: Panel beds come in various types, ranging from traditional and rustic to modern and contemporary, making it easy to find one that suits your bedroom decor.
Sturdy construction: Typically crafted from durable materials like wood or metal, panel beds offer stability and longevity, ensuring a reliable and lasting piece of furniture.
Versatile headboards: Some panel beds feature intricately designed headboards with decorative panels, providing a focal point for your bedroom and allowing you to express your style.
Customization options: Many panel beds offer opportunities for customization, such as selecting different finishes or materials, allowing you to personalize the bed to your taste and preferences.
Single Ottoman bed styling Elegantly in Contrast with Garden Furniture:
Ottoman bed versatility: Use the single ottoman bed as a flexible seating option for your garden furniture arrangement. Its mobility allows you to adapt your outdoor space for various purposes, from lounging to dining.
Coordinated aesthetics: Choose outdoor furniture that complements the ottoman bed in terms of design, colour, or materials. Coordinated aesthetics create a cohesive and visually pleasing outdoor setting.
Dual-purpose seating: Position the ottoman bed strategically within your garden furniture layout to serve as both a comfortable seat and an extra surface for drinks, snacks, or decor items.
Comfort and style: Enhance the comfort of your outdoor seating by accessorizing the ottoman bed with weather-resistant cushions or throws that match or complement the overall style of your garden furniture.
Flexibility and adaptability: With the single ottoman bed as a versatile addition, your outdoor furniture arrangement becomes adaptable to changing needs and occasions, providing a functional and stylish outdoor living space.
Luxury Bed’s Appealing Arrangement with your Rattan Outdoor Furniture:
Arranging your rattan garden furniture with a luxury bed for an aesthetically pleasing outdoor space involves careful consideration of design, comfort, and functionality. Here are some steps to achieve an appealing arrangement:
- Select a Focal Point: Choose a central focal point that combines the rattan garden furniture and the luxury bed. It could be a stylish coffee table, an outdoor fireplace, or a decorative rug. Placing this focal point in the centre of your arrangement will anchor the space.
- Balance the Elements: Ensure a harmonious balance between the rattan furniture and the luxury bed. If your luxury bed is large and ornate, opt for simpler rattan pieces to complement it, and vice versa. This balance will prevent the space from feeling cluttered or overwhelming.
- Comfort is Key: Enhance the comfort of your outdoor space by adding plush cushions, throws, and pillows to both the rattan furniture and the luxury bed. Choose weather-resistant fabrics that match or complement the colour scheme for a cohesive look.
- Layering and Texture: Incorporate texture by layering different materials. For example, a rattan sofa with soft cushions can be paired with a textured luxury bedspread or throw. This layering adds depth and visual interest to the arrangement.
- Greenery and Decor: Integrate natural elements like potted plants, hanging baskets, or garden sculptures to bring life and vibrancy to the space. Decorative items such as lanterns, candles, and outdoor artwork can also contribute to the overall aesthetics.
- Create Zones: If your outdoor space allows, consider creating distinct zones. One zone can be for lounging with rattan furniture, while another can be a cosy relaxation area centred around the luxury bed. Define these zones using rugs or different flooring materials.
- Lighting: Install appropriate outdoor lighting, such as string lights, lanterns, or pathway lights, to set the mood and ensure that your outdoor space remains inviting after dark.
By carefully considering these factors and paying attention to the balance of elements, you can create an aesthetically pleasing and inviting outdoor living area that seamlessly combines rattan garden furniture with a luxury bed.
A Grey footstool, Vibrant Contrast:
- Colorful Plant Selection: Choose a vibrant and diverse selection of plants with contrasting colours to the grey footstool. Opt for flowers, shrubs, or ornamental grasses in shades of red, orange, yellow, or purple to create a striking visual contrast against the neutral grey.
- Textured Ground Cover: Use textured ground covers like decorative mulch, gravel, or stepping stones to define the garden bed's edges. The varying textures will add depth and interest to the overall design, enhancing the elegance of the contrast.
- Focal Point Sculpture or Feature: Incorporate a tasteful garden sculpture, birdbath, or decorative feature near the grey footstool. Choose a piece that complements the grey while adding an artistic element that draws the eye and creates a focal point.
- Trimmed and Neat Garden Edges: Maintain clean and well-defined edges for the garden bed. Crisp, manicured lines along the border of the mattress will create a polished and elegant look that contrasts beautifully with the grey footstool.
- Seasonal Accents: Rotate seasonal accents such as colourful cushions or outdoor decor items on the grey footstool to coordinate with the changing colours of the garden. This dynamic touch ensures your garden bed continually complements and contrasts with the footstool throughout the year.
Small footstool complements your rattan Furniture:
- Centerpiece Placement: Position the small footstool as a centrepiece within your garden furniture arrangement. Please place it in a way that complements the focal point of your outdoor space, such as a coffee table, fire pit, or decorative planter.
- Proximity to Seating: Ensure that the small footstool is within easy reach of the seating areas. It should be close enough to be conveniently used as an extension of seating, allowing guests to prop up their feet or use it as a small side table.
- Balanced Symmetry: If you have multiple pieces of garden furniture, strive for symmetry in your arrangement. Place the small footstool equidistant from different seating elements, maintaining a sense of balance and cohesion in the layout.
- Versatile Use: Highlight the versatility of the small footstool by using it as both a functional and decorative element. For example, you can add a decorative tray on top to hold drinks, candles, or potted plants, making it serve dual purposes while enhancing the overall aesthetics.
- Comfortable Spacing: Ensure that there is enough space around the small footstool for comfortable movement. Avoid overcrowding the area, as this can impede the flow of foot traffic and make the arrangement feel cramped. Adequate spacing enhances both the functionality and visual appeal of your garden furniture setup.